Thursday 12 April 2007

Virtual Reality is coming to a PC near you.

Hi again. A quick update to my blog now to show some of what I have been playing with since I wrote my first game to use the Wiimote and nunchuk.

It is obvious that the main intention of the Wiimote and Nunchuk is to provide the gamer with an input device that is a little more realistic than just a joypad with buttons. Part of the Wii's huge popularity at the moment is the fact that you can swing, punch and swoosh the control about and it reacts. People at the moment dont really care that the tennis game doesnt allow you to position your player on the court and tactically read what the other player is doing, as long as it hits the ball when you swing your Wiimote then that is enough for now.


So I had a play around with Wiimote and Nunchuk, and it brought back all of the memories of going to the sea front with my dad when I was a nipper and putting £2.00 (which was a fortune in them days) into the VR machines on the sea front arcades and playing a Dogfighting game with the huge Virtual Reality headsets on.
I find it a bit sad that Virtual Reality didnt take off as much in the end and fully blame the games console for this. Dont get me wrong I love the console, but it did mean that development was lost in the Arcade machine.

On another side note, whatever happened to those Sony Hologram Cowboy machines? They dissapeared off the face of the earth heheh.

Anyway I am detracting.
So I am sitting at home with my new Wiimote Game and I am wondering what can be done to make this kind of thing more immersive and more like Virtual Reality seeing as this is what is being hinted on with the Wii in the first place. I then remember that I have a projector, and some edimensional 3D shutter glasses, so I get them out to play and dust them off and I had a blast.
Now this is something I didnt expect, instead of just copying Wii games and motions, I am now probably the first person who has immersed themselves into a world stood in front of my wall (projector screen) which the shutter glasses makes look full 3D and I am boxing. I am actually seeing the boxing gloves in front of me swinging when I swing my arms. THIS IS GREAT.
And this got me excited.
Perhaps Virtual Reality could get a second wind and make a come back. So now I am thinking about all of the possibilities that a projector, 3D shutter glasses, a wiimote and a nunchuk could actually have, and how this could re crown the PC as the king of the games machines once again.

Before I go on, a brief bit about my games writing history:
I started off 20 years ago writing 2D games moving sprites around on the Commodore 64. I quickly progressed to using STOS on the Atari ST (for those of you not in the know it was a hacked about version of BASIC specifically meant for 2D games writing).
This was all schoolboy hobby stuff and never really went anywhere.
Since then I got my qualifications and got into the wide world of programming applications for business which consisted of loads of grey dialogue boxes with grey buttons that did the job but never looked very cool.
More recently most of the work has gone back to Web applications which although they still need to do the teccy stuff, now demand that they look cool, so programmers had to become designers and vice versa. It was at this time that I realised I could get back into the world of games development and away from the grey boxes. It is also true to say that it is no longer kids spending their £1.99 for a Mastertronic cassette tape down at the local newsagents, but it is a business that is big enough for people who know what they are doing to make a fair bit of money.

Well the good news is I havent forgotten my childhood dreams and I have got back into games development. I have a nice paying contract at the moment for a PC 3D game for a UK company (NDA stops me saying who) and I have had time to mess around with writing a small first game using the Wiimote and Nunchuk as inputs for my own curiosity. Check out previous Blog posts, and my fun stuff website covering it all here.




Needless to say without going down the Wiimote route too far I thought I would have a look and see what has been done specifically for the PC.

WOW - they have even better than the wiimote coming out. I have more details on my website here about my research into this, but I believe I have now taken my interest in this in a whole new direction, and instead of trying to lead a community of developers to make PC games that use Wiimotes, I want to take a closer look at the PC devices that can do far more, and then take a look at how to get ahead of the game and make the PC the ultimate Virtual Reality machine that could salute the Wii but at the same time, show up its limitations in a flash.

Anyway, I just wanted to get my thoughts down really. I need to get back on with some paid work, but the future of gaming looks really good, and I think my vote now goes back to the PC. The 360 and PS3 may have their time now, but PC is always going to be king as far as Virtual Reality fully immersive gaming is concerned.

Like I say check out my website here for a fuller explanation of the devices I have found and how these are going to shape the future of gaming.



Cheers,

L.

No comments: