Monday 5 March 2007

Google Apps.

It was brought to my attention recently that Google Apps had re-branded and are now trying out different tools to help people with their web presence.
We wanted to register a new domain to have a play around with this, so I joined up and registered a test domain here:
Cambridge and Peterborough software developers test partner website.

So I signed up at the Google Apps pages, and registered the domain.

From the front menu there is a bit of confusion with 2 categories of pages to sort out. There is a link to sort out the start pages, and there is a link to sort out the web pages.

I didn’t know the difference, so I thought I would sort out the start pages seeing as it makes sense to start at the start.
What happened then was I sorted out the content, and put on a couple of blogs, a weather report, and a calendar.
I then waited to see this start page turn up at the http://www.altfuzion.com and after about a week, it still never turned up. It always stayed at start.altfuzion.com
So I went back and re visited the account and saw that the webpages were still blank even though the start page was set up. I then set up the webpages which at the moment is a title and a piece of text just introducing what I am trying to do with the Google Apps account.
That now does come up at the intended application URL.
Because I now have an ASP.NET (dot net) website that I don’t want to break so I will leave that alone, and I can now use www.altfuzion.com as a blank canvas to try out any number of tools and technologies.

I have found so far that Google states they do not give any preferential treatment to pages or websites that are held and created on Google Page Creator.
It just has the same precedence as any other website on the internet.

It should be worth mentioning: We have registered our test domain http://www.altfuzion.com to run through googlepages, although with my googlepages account I can actually register 4 domains in total to have other domains to experiment with. These domains are all within the http://########.googlepages.com area however so I don’t really see a need to explore this further, I will be sticking with http://www.altfuzion.com which points to http://www.altfuzion.com-a.googlepages.com/ only for my experiments.




I am now looking into Google Gadgets and Widgets to see what it is about, and there seems to be a wealth of Widgets that have been written for google pages.
Some of these are free and some are costly, but all are supposedly easy to install through my main Google Page Creator.
I am going to have a test page to hold gadgets and widgets that I will make public.
You can view my google widgets test page here.

Questions I have to be answered are:
Can I make a robots.txt and sitemap.XML ?
It does state there is 100MB of storage space. Can I upload pages directly to my space, or do I have to go through their interface.
If I can upload pages, can I upload aspx (ASP.NET) pages, or is there any kind of server side technology that I can utilize?
Is there any database technology that I can utilize on their storage space?

No comments: