Wednesday 14 February 2007

Sitemaps - What is ROR and should we use it

I have been hearing a lot of buzzwords lately about ROR sitemaps.
I want to write a little something here about my findings with it.

I thought I was well up with promoting websites by having a normal XML sitemap, and submitting it to Google webmaster tools, and Yahoo sitemaps, and then the search engines would know all about it and that would be it.

I tend to keep sitemaps simple with a list of pages in the site, and usually I keep all priorities at 0.5.
an example of one of these sitemaps is here:
altFusion software website sitemap
Although I have also spent a little more time over sitemaps and given each page a different priority and painstakingly gone through it by hand to try and optimise it.
An example of one of these sitemaps is here:
marketing course sitemap

Recently however I have been hearing that the sitemaps I have got are now old hat, and I want to be looking at ROR (Resources of a Resource) Format.
In short - ROR should be a form of sitemap that can tell search engines a lot more than just what pages are in a site. It should also now be able to tell search engines about the following as well:
sitemaps, products, services, menus, images, reviews, contact info, business and info.

This is a first blog to list that I know about this, I will add to this as I actually have a play around with ROR, but for now a good generator of ROR is here:
http://www.rorweb.com/rormap.htm

and the root: http://www.rorweb.com/ seems to have a lot of explanations about ROR.
I think the first experiment for me is to generate ROR of the two sitemaps I have mentioned above and then call them ror.xml so that I can also keep the normal sitemap.xml that I already have. I will then start to submit these ROR pages to google webmaster tools and yahoo sitemaps instead of the normal sitemaps.xml page, and see if that helps or harms my website SEO.

I will use this post to log all information about this that I see fit.

Cheers,

Lindsay.

Director and Systems Architect - altFusion Ltd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ROR is just an extension of RSS (which uses XML). I know of no search engines that state they support ROR extensions. Try check Google, Yahoo etc. webmaster centers and see if you can find any reference to ROR sitemaps, e.g. http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/siteexplorer/siteexplorer-45.html and http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34654

You can also check http://www.micro-sys.dk/developer/articles/website-sitemap-kinds-comparison.php for more details.